March 11, 2020
Code8 At Nicolas Jebran’s Haute Couture Debut in Paris
It goes with saying that haute couture is the holy grail of fashion, its most exuberant and fantastical expression. Haute couture is pink champagne, whereas ready-to-wear fashion is your glass of Cab. As many have described it before, it's simply a dream. A fairytale. And each January and July, couturiers the world over come to Paris to present their aesthetic vision at Haute Couture Fashion Week. And this July, so did Code8.
This season, we sponsored the show of Lebanese designer Nicolas Jebran, who debuted his first haute couture collection “My Golden Odyssey” in the French capital. Jebran, who shares his country’s flair for making things just that extra bit glamorous, is naturally a red-carpet favourite, worn by tastemakers such as Lady Gaga, Shay Mitchell, and Beyoncé, who also wore one of his headpieces on her Homecoming album cover. From the moment we stepped on the Eurostar as St Pancras, we were excited.And the experience did not disappoint. Jebran’s dreamy, embellished, avant-garde Fall 2019 Couture collection exuded a retrospective mood. Backstage, the designer eloquently said that the collection is “a look into the soul, a look towards a journey that passed and building the blocks of what comes next." Backstage, lead makeup artist Ahmed El Ali created the beauty look, which translated the designer’s vision of the Golden Odyssey, with sultry eyes, luminous skin and high cheekbones. Here’s what he used:
·Seamless Cover Concealer on the eyelid as a base to create the perfect canvas and make eyeshadow colours pop.
· Contour Eye Pencil in classic black on the outer edge of the eyes and on the lower waterline, to define the eye shape and to create a more dramatic look.
· A mixture of Burnt Sienna and Jaipur Marbles Iconoclast Eyeshadow Palettes: shades 5 and 6 from Burnt Sienna were used to line and contour the eyelid. The pink shade 4 from Jaipur Marbles was used all over the centre lid for an intense deep pink effect.
· Highlight HD Palette on the eyelids to create a wide-eyed look and heighten the shimmer effect.
· Highlight HD Palette on top of the cheekbone was applied for a contouring gleam.
· 5 secs Express hydrating colour was used as a cream blusher.
· Lips were muted, but soft and hydrated with a barely-there hint of colour using AM/PM At The Barre and Spin City, as well as 5Secs in Miss Saigon and Off Broadway and Colour Brilliance Lipstick in Wanderlust
Back at the Eurostar at Gare du Nord, the experience did indeed feel like a beautiful dream from once upon a time. But we'll hang on to that couture magic. After all, fairytales only come true for those who believe in them.